Monday, October 4, 2010

Thing 4

The requirement for Thing 4 was to subscribe to at least three feeds from different blogs or news sources. I realized I was already subscribed to the youth services department blog at work and to a blog for another class (LIS 661). So I subscribed to the blogs of two of my co-students and also to the Unshelved comic and the Fox News National Headlines. I'm sure trying to keep up with just these few blogs and news feeds will keep me rather busy!

I decided to use the Google Reader to organize and subscribe to the feeds. I like that it was extremely easy to use (and the step-by-step directions were very clear). The good part of having all the news feeds on one page is the simplicity of it all! Things I might be interested in reading are all right there, together! How easy is that? It will certainly save time since different pages/sites won't have to be loaded up every time I'd like to read something.

For my professional life, RSS feeds would be useful for subscribing to blogs relative to the workplace -- having all the updated information available with a single mouse click would save a lot of time from searching for updates on other sites that are related to the workplace.

For the news feeds I added, it was super simple! I just copied the link for the Unshelved comic into the Google Reader "add a subscription" box. And for FoxNews, I found an RSS Feeds link at the bottom of the homepage, clicked that, then clicked the feed I was interested in (I chose National Headlines), clicked on the Google button, and that was that! Super simple. Now it's just a matter of remembering to read them all! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment